Discovery Communications, LLC
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Cloud Engineer
at Discovery Communications, LLC
- Requisition ID
- Career Category
- IT & Technical Operations
- Company Employee Full-Time
Discovery Inc is the world’s #1 pay-TV programmer reaching 2.7 billion subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories. Global Technology & Operations provides technological infrastructure and operations support to ensure audiences can enjoy Discovery's programming around the world and across platforms. Already a leader in the factual and lifestyle genres, Discovery has expanded its core business into new genres: sports, entertainment and kids. Its platforms and product eco-systems are now engaged in terrestrial/free-to-air, OTT products and content development/production companies.
The Way We Work
Discovery continues to grow around the world and across platforms. GT&O is building media technology and systems that meet world class standards for which Discovery is known. Our culture and leadership traits are in evolution as we expand from a traditional linear Pay TV business towards a convergent media and entertainment business that encompasses digital and mobile. Discovery is developing direct-to-consumer relationships, while delivering traditional platforms, with innovative solutions. Discovery is looking to embrace a dynamic and entrepreneurial individual.
Discovery is searching for our next cloud engineer! Our cloud engineering teams focus on modern technology and creating next-generation solutions. We solve a wide variety of problems, and have an emphasis on learning new and emerging technologies while providing the best dependable solutions to our internal customers.
Our cloud engineering teams love learning new things, and using that knowledge to enable our internal customers. You should be curious about technology, both the new technologies being developed, as well as the fundamentals that make them work. You also take that knowledge and share out to those around you.
Our cloud engineering teams develop positive relationships with customers. You should be a good communicator, able to develop and maintain relationships with internal customers who rely on our knowledge and technology. You should work with customers to understand their issues and concerns, and offer valuable solutions.
Our cloud engineering teams want operational smoothness. You value simplicity, and don't deliver over-complicated solutions. You automate not just solutions, but monitoring and even documentation. You include tests to avoid regressions and assist in achieving quality deployments.
1. Develop Python scripts, Terraform templates, and AWS CloudFormation templates to deploy applications in an automated, repeatable manner across thousands of Linux servers.
2. Deploy and support applications in Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, and other providers
4. Be a subject matter expert for the team on Jenkins, multiple programming languages, and cloud-related technologies
5. Experience with modern web protocols and development, as well familiarity with mobile applications
6. Build and deploy Docker containers to AWS ECS and Kubernetes
7. Embed with development teams to assist with serverless Node.js microservices, Jenkins-based shell and Python automation, or global CDN configuration
8. Establish repeatable, testable configuration of systems using Chef
9. Maintain software, configurations, templates and infrastructure as code using git
10. Learn new cloud technologies and consult with internal customers
11. Identify repetitive, manual tasks and automate them
12. Document support procedures and train others on related procedures
13. Be available periodically for 24 hour on-call shifts for escalated incidents
* Cloud native infrastructure and application experience, especially in AWS
* Development and automation experience
* Substantial Linux experience, particularly RHEL or Fedora-based distributions
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
* Experience with DevOps techniques and related utilities such as Continuous Integration, Git, Jenkins, and scripting against REST APIs
* Experience with Google Cloud Platform, Azure, and/or other cloud technologies
* Experience with the HashiCorp suite of tools, such as Packer, Vault, and Consul.
* Familiarity with the Netflix suite of tools, especially Spinnaker
* Understanding of related technologies such as networking and firewalls, storage, server hardware, and DNS.
* Linux-related applications such as Apache, Tomcat, LDAP, MySQL, Redis, and NGINX
* Experience with java applications operations and/or development
* Experience working in agile team processes such as Scrum and Kanban
* Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
* 10+ years business/industry work experience
Knoxville, Tennessee, KX, TN, Sterling, Virginia, VA