THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE AT MARTIN
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
TN Extension Internship Program: ANR/CED Biosystems Engineering and Soil Science Department
at THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE AT MARTIN
POSITION X1855 Tennessee ExtensionInternship Program: ANR/CED Biosystems Engineering and Soil Science Department
10-week Summer Internship
LOCATION The student will work in the Biosystems Engineering andSoil Science Department, Knoxville, TN at the University of Tennessee. Prior to startingthe internship, interns will participate in a day-long orientation tofamiliarize them with Tennessee Extension Programs in ANR.
EFFECTIVE DATE May 22 – July 31, 2019
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Compensation inthe amount of $5,500 for the 10-week internship is provided for each intern. Aswith any position, it is expected that an intern is able to get to and fromwork each day. Generally, any work-related travel outside of the county will becompensated.
This intern will work in the area of urbanstormwater management to assist in the transfer of research-based, practicaltechnologies developed at the university into application in communities acrossthe state to help protect water resources. In recent years, local municipalgovernments across the state have identified infiltration-based greeninfrastructure, such as rain gardens, as successful approach to protecting downstreamwater quality from degradation due to urbanization. However, due to challengesin design and implementation, some of these practices are not functioning asintended and rejuvenation actions are costing up to $30-40K per project. Theintern will work with local municipal stormwater departments to identifysources of failure in infiltration-based green infrastructure practices,identify research-based and proven technologies for remediation, implementpractical methods, and document application successes. This documentation willbe collected throughout the summer and compiled into an Extension publicationfor practical methods to rejuvenate rain gardens in Tennessee. This activityexemplifies the Extension mission of taken university-backed, proven practicalsolutions to common problems facing stakeholder groups that impact communityhealth and well-being throughout Tennessee. The intern willalso be involved in the following activities: supporting state office effortsto disseminate information to support county based programs, quantifying andevaluating impacts of programs, creating Extension publication material relatedto residential and small-scale commercial stormwater runoff management usinggreen infrastructure solutions, and collecting field data to support technologytransfer.
• Candidate must be enrolled in a college of agriculture, naturalresources, environmental science or closely related major.
• Should have completed at least 50 percent of the required coursework for the Bachelor's degree with a cumulative GPA of 2.7 (on a 4.0 scale) orhigher and has not yet started a graduate program.
• Preference will be given to students presently enrolled in the Universityof Tennessee, Tennessee State University, any other university or college inTennessee, or to a student resident of Tennessee enrolled elsewhere. Preferencewill also be given to those with Extension experience (i.e. former 4-H member,etc.). However, all eligible applicants will be considered.
• Must reside in, or live within a reasonable commuting distance ofthe assigned location. Housing not provided.
• Must have own transportation to and from work.
• Must present a written and oral report of the projectaccomplishments and training experience at the end of the internship.
For bestconsideration, applications for the internship should be submitted by November15, 2018. Applications received after this date will be reviewed if allslots have not been filled.
Applicants may beinterviewed. Successful applicants will be notified by January 31, 2019.
· Attach Resume toOnline Application
· Attach Transcriptto Online Application
Inquiries may be made to: BiosystemsEngineering and Soil Science, (865) 974-7266
Andrea Ludwig - firstname.lastname@example.org